We’re big on burgers in our home. Burger night and Taco Tuesday are rarely missed. While I’ve always gone protein-style, I love trying bun alternatives – lettuce, cabbage, coconut wraps, SmartBuns, etc. – and don’t miss “real” buns on my keto burgers at all. What I did miss, were fries! I’ve tried zucchini fries which are definitely tasty, but they are obviously zucchini — and usually go for crispy brussels sprouts instead. Last week, I decided to jump on the jicama band wagon and see how they stack up against potatoes as a burger side. The results! Delicious! It’s all about the seasoning – but jicama has a very potato-like texture (minus the carbs) and with some manipulating, turned out great. I dipped them in Primal Kitchen’s Spicy Ketchup and was in heaven!
Air Fryer Keto Jicama Fries
- Air Fryer
- 1 whole jicama peeled and cut into 1/2 inch sticks
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Peel and cut the jicama into your preferred french fry shape. Thinner works better - I cut mine to about 1/2 inch thickness per "stick"
- Boil a large pot of water on the stove and add the cut jicama sticks. Boil for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Drain and use paper towels to remove excess moisture from the jicama fries.
- Place in a large bowl and coat with oil and then add seasonings. Toss to coat thoroughly.
- Add the fries to your air fryer in a single layer (or, if you don't have an air fryer, lay them on a sheet pan).
- Set air fryer (or oven) to 400 degrees. If using a traditional oven, preheat before putting the pan in.
- Cook for 20 minutes in the air fryer or 30 minutes in the oven.
- When done, add extra salt or seasonings to taste and dig in!