Chili oil – especially homemade chili oil – is one of my favorite condiments?I use it in a variety of dishes from saut?ed vegetables to grilled salmon to this keto Chili Garlic Noodles with? Chicken dish that I love. Garlic chili noodles recently became all the rage on social media and thanks to delicious and low-carb noodle options, this is a recipe we can enjoy as well!
The market for low carb and keto noodles seems to expand every month, with new options to choose from ranging from Konjac (a Japanese Yam) based noodles which are zero carb and practically zero calorie, to options made from pea protein, hearts of palm and other inventive and palatable creations.?
I typically use Konjac-based (aka Shirataki) noodles in my recipes – they are firm and hold up to sauces and heat, and in my opinion are closest to a real noodle in texture. For Asian-inspired dishes like this one, they work very well and mimic the rice or glass noodles you get in Asian restaurants.?
You can buy Chili Oil at the market, however I do prefer making it at home and it?s easy to make though it does require quite a few ingredients. I’ll post a recipe soon!?While most chili oil is sugar-free, always check the label to make sure!
Coconut Aminos are a fantastic substitute for soy sauce – and I actually like the flavor much more. It?s less salty, but the flavors mimic soy sauce and is the perfect keto dupe in recipes.
Most Garlic Chili Noodle recipes are noodles only – no protein – however I like to add chicken and some baby bok choy for more substance, protein and vegetables. I?ll sometimes swap out the chicken for shrimp – play around with your favorite proteins!
Garlic Chili Noodles with Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil for skillet
- 1 chicken breast cut into 1? pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos I prefer Bragg?s or Trader Joe?s
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- 1 package Shiritaki Noodles I like the Miracle Noodle Fettuccini
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 3 - 4 leaves baby bok choy
- 2 tbsp chili oil
- Scallions and sesame seeds to garnish
- Rinse and drain the shiritaki noodles. Rinse well for 1 - 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add garlic cloves and cook ntil garlic is just starting to soften.
- Add chicken pieces and saut? until it begins to get opaque.
- Add coconut aminos, toasted sesame oil and vinegar and continue to cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add drained noodles and simmer until sauce reduces. Mix to coat noodles.
- Once it starts to simmer down, add chili paste and bok choy. Continue to simmer for another 2 minutes until vegetables begin to wilt.
- Add chili oil and give it a final stir.
- Remove from heat, transfer to serving dishes.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds.