I love zucchini – always have, even before my keto days. Baked zucchini a la Thomas Keller is something I could very easily eat daily and never get tired of it! Fried zucchini has always been a favorite but the traditional breaded and deep-fried in less that healthy oils certainly aren’t keto-friendly.
However, thanks to pork rinds which make a fantastic breadcrumb alternative and air fryers, you can make delicious, crispy zucchini fries at home without the heavy breading and poor quality oils. No air fryer? No problem! These turn out fabulously in the oven too! I like to broil them if using the oven for the last minute or two for extra color and crispness!
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. line a baking sheet with foil. Place a rack onto baking sheet to keep zucchini crispy.
- Keep slicing each zucchini in half lengthwise, until you have created eight long sticks of similar size. Then cut sticks in half again across the middle, making sixteen pieces (per zucchini).
- In a medium bowl mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cheese together. In a separate medium bowl add the beaten egg. First dip each stick in the egg (shaking off excess). Second, press each side into the spices.
- Place spaced apart on the rack in s single layer.
- Bake 20 minutes, flipping fries and rotating pan halfway through until browned and crispy.
- Turn oven to broil and broil 2-3 minutes until dark golden.