I love zucchini – always have, even before my keto days. Baked zucchini a la Thomas Keller is something I could very easily eat daily and never get tired of it! Fried zucchini has always been a favorite but the traditional breaded and deep-fried in less that healthy oils certainly aren’t keto-friendly.
However, thanks to pork rinds which make a fantastic breadcrumb alternative and air fryers, you can make delicious, crispy zucchini fries at home without the heavy breading and poor quality oils. No air fryer? No problem! These turn out fabulously in the oven too! I like to broil them if using the oven for the last minute or two for extra color and crispness!
Crispy Zucchini FriesPrint Pin Rate
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup pork rinds crumbled
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large egg beaten
- Preheat oven or air fryer to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet or air fryer tray with foil.
- Sllice each zucchini in half lengthwise and continue slicing until you have eight long sticks of equal size. Then cut sticks in half again across the middle, making sixteen pieces (per zucchini). You can also cut them in circles based on preference.
- In a medium bowl mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, crumbled pork rinds and parmesan cheese together. In a separate medium bowl add the beaten egg.
- Dip each piece of zucchini in the egg and shake off any excess. Then, press each side into the pork rind and cheese mixture.
- Place on the baking sheet or tray in a single layer.
- Bake 20 minutes - 12 minutes if using air fryer, flipping fries halfway through until browned and crispy.
- Serve with no sugar added marinara sauce or ranch dressing on the side.