There are many low-carb pizza crust alternatives – from cheese-based “fathead” dough to cauliflower crusts and more. But did you ever think about using a fried egg as a crust alternative? While you can’t pick up a slice and bite down on this like other alternative pizza bases, these egg-based “pizzas” are a fun spin and are delicious for breakfast or even lunch!
We’ve gone with a traditional pepperoni “pizza” here and added some goat (or feta) cheese for some extra flavor, but you can experiment with toppings and cheeses to make your favorite! I have been on a pizza eggs kick for a few weeks now – I make them almost daily and play with toppings…my current favorite is a Mexican version with jalapeno, cheddar, salsa and sour cream. And of course, eggs are a ketology superfood – look for pasture raised eggs ideally for the best possible nutritional profile and flavor. Either way, whatever eggs you use and whatever toppings you use, this keto breakfast recipe is so delicious!
Note: with the pizza sauce, you want to make sure you get one with no added sugar. Similar to marinara sauce, brands will often sneak in sugar to their sauces – so check the labels. I like the Rao’s pizza sauce or just use regular no-sugar added marinara.
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp pizza sauce
- 2 tbsp feta cheese crumbled
- 5 slices pepperoni
- 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1 pinch Italian seasoning
- Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. When the butter is melted and the skillet is hot, crack the eggs into the pan.
- Once the whites just barely start to set and turn white, reduce the heat to low, spoon the pizza sauce over the eggs, and sprinkle the feta over the top.
- Continue cooking and, when the whites are almost completely set, add the pepperoni, mozzarella, parmesan, and Italian seasoning on top.
- Continue cooking over low heat until the whites are completely set, the pepperoni is cooked, and the cheese is melted.