I have always loved Halloumi cheese – it’s been on my list of the essentials I stock in my kitchen long before Keto became my thing. I discovered a deliciously simple grilled halloumi with chilis recipe from Nigella Lawson over 15 years ago and literally make it almost every week. The salty Sheep’s cheese is firm and dense and takes on flavors of oils and spices so well. What I love about being on the keto diet, is the ways we can reinvent foods to create new favorites — case in point, this Grilled Steak, Avocado and Halloumi Keto Sandwich. The halloumi creates the perfect exterior to this delicious keto sandwich, and the flavors of steak and mellow avocado pair perfectly with the salty halloumi.
For those on a keto diet, Halloumi is a great addition to our meal plans (high fat, zero carbs) AND as I mentioned above, a notable substitution for bread in keto sandwiches! I’ll include Halloumi in many recipes you’ll find here, but this is one of my favorites: grilled steak, avocado and spinach on halloumi.
You can find halloumi in your grocer’s fridge – usually with the feta and goat cheese. Halloumi is great as an appetizer with a drizzle of good olive oil or dipped in marinara after grilling – almost like fried mozzarella!
Grilled Steak, Avocado and Spinach Sandwich with Halloumi Cheese
- 2 oz Halloumi Cheese, sliced into thick (1/4" - 1/2" rectangles)
- 2 oz grilled steak or roast beef deli meat
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 slice pepper jack cheese (or your favorite cheese) optional
- 1/2 tbsp mayo I use Primal Kitchen's Chipotle Mayo - yum!)
- Lightly coat skillet with cooking spray (I prefer coconut or olive oil spray). The halloumi has natural fats that will prevent it from sticking to the pan, so you don't need too much.
- Over medium heat, "grill" halloumi slices until browned and "crispy" - around 2 - 3 minutes on each side. The halloumi will soften slightly while cooking, but will still be firm and almost springy to the touch. Set aside when finished.
- Grill strips of steak or roast beef until just cooked. I usually use leftover steak from the night before, so I just need to quickly reheat them. Throw in the spinach for a few minutes to just wilt them. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange your sandwich! Spread mayo on the halloumi slices, add spinach, avocado slices, steak and slice of cheese (if adding).
- Dig in!