I am Indian – first-generation in the United States – however grew up eating Indian food practically every day. My mom is an amazing cook, so I learned most of my skills from watching her – but we never honestly had butter chicken growing up. Or at least, that’s not what it was called. So when I went off the college and went to Indian restaurants where Butter Chicken was all the rage, I wasn’t sure exactly what it was but it essentially is a creamy curry-like chicken dish that’s overloaded with butter. So, in addition to being absolutely delicious, that makes it very keto friendly!
There are some great recipes for Keto Naan that I’ve found (I haven’t tried to devise my own Naan recipe yet, but stay tuned) or of course, this is fantastic with cauliflower rice. As usual, I like to turn up the heat so I add more chili powder and usually a fresh chopped jalapeno to this, but that’s up to you!
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 lb s, Chicken Thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium Tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup Sliced Onion
- 1 tbsp Ginger, grated
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp Butter - Unsalted
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- Combine ginger, garlic, onion and tomato in a blender and puree.
- In a medium bowl, combine salt, ground coriander, chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and cumin powder. Add chicken and coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and cook the chicken until it's nice and browned and cooked through. Flip each piece to ensure cooked thoroughly.
- Add in the puree and butter. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove from heat and mix in the heavy cream.
- Top with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with Keto naan or cauliflower rice.