We are big on Mexican food in our home – Taco Tuesday has been a standing tradition since my now 16 and 19 year old sons were toddlers and breakfast burritos, enchiladas and nachos have always been part of our mix almost weekly. This Keto Enchiladas recipe is perfected by one of my favorite low carb substitutes – Cut da Carb flatbreads. The thin wraps can be used for hundreds of recipes – as a true flatbread for wraps and sandwiches, as a tortilla in recipes like this low carb enchilada recipe or for burritos and, they fry up for the perfect tortilla chips too!
This recipe comes in at one 5g of net carbs per serving and you’ll never know it’s low carb. While many enchilada sauces have pesky sugar hiding in the ingredients, Hatch makes a delicious low carb enchilada sauce without any added sugar. You can also find the Hatch brand at your local supermarket.
I serve this keto enchiladas recipe more like a lasagne than rolling up the wraps because I find that sometimes, the wraps will crack (they are thin) so when serving, it kind of comes out like a lasagne anyway, but you can also roll up each with a 1/5 of the shredded chicken and cheese, roll them up and then cover with more sauce and cheese. Either way, you’re in for a cheesy treat!
Keto Enchilada Casserole
- 2 large chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 14 oz enchilada sauce look for one without added sugar, like Hatch
- 3 Cut Da Carb sheets cut into halves, or 6 low carb tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheese use one or a combo of your favorites. I use equal parts Monterey Jack and Pepper Jack
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika optional
- Preheat oven to 375?
- Lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking oil and set aside.
- Put a small pot over medium-low heat on the stove.
- Cut each chicken breast in thirds and place in pot.
- Toss in the salt, pepper and smoked paprika to lightly coat the chicken.
- Pour Enchilada sauce in and cook covered until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Stir every 5 minutes to make sure the sauce doesn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.
- When cooked through, remove the chicken from the sauce and place in a medium bowl.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Coat the bottom of the baking dish with the sauce - just a few tablespoons.
- Lay down your Cut Da Carb wrap or low carb tortillas to cover the bottom.
- Top with 1/3 of the shredded chicken.
- Pour on 1/3 of the sauce.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the shredded cheese combo.
- Repeat each layer (starting with the Cut Da Carb wraps or tortillas).
- Bake for 25 minutes until bubbly and browned on tip.
- Remove from oven and let your Keto Enchiladas rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Top with sour cream, fresh cilantro or your favorite salsa.