I’ve been winding down each evening with this keto golden milk recipe, which is a delicious turmeric-infused hot beverage that has been used in Indian cultures for centuries to treat all sorts of ailments and for general good health. I started having trouble sleeping through the night recently, so decided to end my day with a cup of this delicious, warm and soothing drink to see if what my mom has been telling me for decades was accurate – that golden milk helps provide a solid night’s sleep. Using stevia instead of sugar and my homemade almond milk, this keto golden milk recipe is delicious any time of the day.
The Benefits of Turmeric in Keto Golden Milk
Turmeric has long been heralded for its anti-inflammatory and medicinal properties. Beyond helping battle chronic inflammation, turmeric is extremely beneficial as we age because it boots BDNF in our brains, which helps to fight off degenerative disease like Alzheimers and dementia. And among many other benefits, the reason why turmeric is a Ketology super-ingredient because it’s a phytoestrogen and helps balance our hormones as we women enter peri-menopause and menopause.
You can also blend in a scant tablespoon of unsweetened almond butter into the golden milk drink – it adds a bit of texture and thickness along with extra calories and fat. Some evenings, if I still haven’t hit my fat macros, this is what I turn to instead of a fat bomb to hit my quota and drift off to a blissful sleep.
Keto Golden Milk
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch black pepper this is essential to aid absorption of the turmeric!
- 1 tbsp MCT oil or Brain Octane Oil
- 5 - 10 drops stevia
- In a small saucepan, add all ingredients except for the MCT oil and bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add MCT oil and either blend it in your blender or I use an electric mini-whisk.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!