As I’ve mentioned before, we’re big on muffins in our home – I used to make muffins every few days for my boys when they were young and even now (at 16 and 19 years old) they love it when they see me pulling a batch of freshly baked, (now keto) muffins out of the oven. We made an amazing keto pumpkin pie recipe today which I’ll post with my Thanksgiving menu coming up soon, but we had some leftover pumpkin puree so I also whipped up these easy, keto pumpkin muffins.
Keto pumpkin muffins are perfect during the fall, are delicious on their own but you can also throw in 1/2 cup of your favorite keto-friendly chocolate chips (ChocZero is my favorite) if desired.
Is Pumpkin Keto?
As part of the squash family, pumpkin has more carbs than the vegetables we favor on a keto diet, however pumpkin is relatively low cab compared to its squash brothers and sisters with 12g of net carbs per cup. If using canned pumpkin, just make sure you’re getting pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling which will have added sugars.
For low carb pumpkin muffins, I also mix some nut butter – either almond butter or sunflower butter…or I really like the Nutzo Keto Butter too! This helps bring the net carb count down while adding healthy fats and flavor!
You can also make keto pumpkin bread with this recipe – just pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan and cook for about 10 – 15 minutes longer.
Keto Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 cup unsweetened nut butter we like almond or sunflower
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2/3 cup Swerve granulated sweetener or your favorite sweetener
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom optional
- Preheat oven to 350?F.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking oil or line with muffin liners. I use a silicone muffin mold which doesn't require any prep 🙂
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients and beat (or whisk) until smooth.
- Fill the muffin tins to about 1/2 way full.
- Bake for 16 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let rest on a baking rack for at least 15 minutes before removing and serving.