I have been focusing a lot on comfort food lately – between the colder weather and chaos in our world, it seems like comfort food is made for the moment. When I was young, my mom cooked a lot and we had wonderful, home-cooked meals every night for dinner. When she was out of town and my dad was in charge of dinner, it was take out or quick dinners made from Hamburger Helper or the like. Pasta, sauce and ground beef – what’s not to love! So, sometimes when I’m getting that comfort food urge, this low carb keto Cheeseburger Casserole does the trick! We always have ground beef in the fridge, with backups in the freezer — it’s affordable and quick to whip up all sorts of keto ground beef recipes with minimal effort.
I’l sometimes will lay a Cut Da Carb flatbread on top of this keto cheeseburger casserole and then sprinkle a final layer of cheese – it adds a nice crunch to the top since we obviously are making this keto casserole without starches like pasta. That’s optional but is a delicious addition! I always have Cut Da Carb packs in my freezer – they’re so versatile and a great option for wraps, tortillas, they fry up amazingly well for keto tortilla chips and more!
If you want more of a keto hamburger casserole recipe vs cheeseburger, you can us half of the cheddar or eliminate it completely. At just 3g of net carbs per serving, this is a great dinner (or leftovers!) option if you need a filling yet very low carb recipe at the end o the day to ensure you don’t go over your carbohydrate macros for the day.
Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
- cooking oil spray
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/4 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 Cut Da Carb flatbread optional
- Preheat oven to 400?.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking oil.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and the onions.
- Cook, breaking up the beef, for about 5 - 7 minutes until beef is browned.
- Drain 1/2 of the fat off from the skillet.
- Stir in the pink salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Mix seasonings with beef and onion and remove from heat.
- Fold in the mayonnaise, marinara, mustard, and 1/2 cup cheddar and 1/2 cup of monterey jack. Reserve 1/2 cup of cheddar.
- Pour the mixture to your prepared baking dish.
- Layer the flatbread on top, if using.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the broiler on for the last minute to get the cheese bubbly.