As I’ve mentioned in previous recipes, when I can make a one pot meal, I’m all for it — especially if it’s in my cast iron skillet.? This keto chicken pot pie is one of our go-to comfort foods and great for winter weekend lunches or dinner. The fathead dough crust works perfectly for the right texture and bite — I’ll sometimes layer a Cut Da Carb flatbread?on top the crust for an added crispy layer above the fathead dough. I have used this method on my keto lasagne recipe and it adds a great bonus layer – and with only 9g of net carbs per flatbread, it’s a low carb option that works well for all sorts of recipes.
You don’t have to make this in a cast iron skillet – I prefer the one-pot method for easy clean up and serving, but you can transfer the chicken mixture to a greased pie plate or baking dish before topping with crust mixture. Either way, this is a low carb, keto Chicken Pot Pie that is great the next day (or the day after!) for leftovers.
We also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving to make a low carb turkey pot pie. I love mushrooms in this recipe, however you can use any low carb vegetable you prefer!
Keto Chicken Pot Pie
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped (about 2 stalks)
- 2 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan gum
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
FOR THE FATHEAD CRUST
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Cut da Carb flatbread optional
- Preheat oven to 425?.
FOR THE CHICKEN FILLING
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter and allow to melt down.
- Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and celery and stir until vegetables have softened and onion is just translucent.
- Add the bone broth and spices.
- Boil and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and xanthan gum.
- Stir until thickened.
- Add shredded chicken and mushrooms.
- Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce and remove from heat.
FOR THE FATHEAD CRUST
- In a medium plastic or glass bowl, add the mozzarella and cream cheese.
- Microwave in 30 second increments until melted.
- Add eggs and combine until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir - the mixture should be paste-like....not firm like most fathead crust.
- Spoon the dough over the chicken mixture in the cast iron and spread to cover.
- Top with the Cut da Carb flatbread, if using.
- Score the center with a X shape - about 2 inches in diameter.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until crust is browned.