This salmon benedict is a great way to start a day – I like making them on Sunday mornings but sometimes, if my morning allows, I’ll whip it up before work.
I like these with just the smoked salmon on the bottom, however they allow taste divine with Cloud Bread as a base as well. The hollandaise sauce is the trickiest part – if it starts to thicken too much while you’re poaching the eggs, simply add a little bit of water to bring it back to the right consistency.
Low Carb Salmon Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 4 slices Smoked Salmon or Lox
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tsp Chives raw
- 2 large Egg yolks raw,
- 2 tbsp Butter - Salted melted
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- pinch of paprika
- Set a pot of water to boil.
- Start by making the hollandaise sauce. Separate 2 eggs and whisk the yolks in a glass bowl until they're fluffy and almost doubled in volume. Add the lemon juice.
- Using a double boiler (or the glass bowl set on top of the simmering water) start to whisk the lemony egg yolks rapidly. You will see they will become thicker the more you whisk over the heat.
- Cool melted butter so it's not too hot and slowly begin whisking in a steady stream into yolk mixture until thick and creamy. You don't want the eggs to scramble, so watch the heat! When thick and emulsified, remove from heat.
- Season with salt and paprika. Set aside.
- To poach your eggs, use the boiling water from the hollandaise sauce and add a pinch of salt and the vinegar.
- Create a whirlpool in the water with a spoon by stirring around a few times in one direction.
- Crack an egg into a ramekin or small bowl (a teacup also works well because it has a handle) and gently lower into the whirlpool you've created. Gently slide the egg into the whirlpool and don't touch it anymore!
- Let the egg cook for about 2-4 minutes for a soft poach.
- Lift the egg gently with a spatula and let it rest on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining 3 eggs.
- Arrange the benedict! Place smoked salmon on a plate and top with 3 - 4 slices of avocado. Set a poached egg atop the avocado and spoon about a tablespoon of hollandaise sauce onto each poached eggs and top with some salt and pepper and chopped chives.