Sometimes, it?s necessary to end the day on a sweet note. Last night, for me, that was in the form of a keto chocolate mug cake with fresh whipped cream. I don’t know who invented the concept of mug cakes, but where have they been all our lives? Why did I just learn of them now that I’m keto? I have a half-dozen keto mug cake recipes that I swear by, but mug cakes aren’t just for those living low carb – my son has become a master at making mug cakes for dessert too!
Ok, back to my keto chocolate mug cake creation. I don’t have a crazy sweet tooth, so I don’t indulge in sweets too often, but I had a MAJOR chocolate craving so decided to experiment with a few different ingredients which ended up in a moist, not too sweet but majorly satisfying keto dessert-for-one.
And I threw in some chopped Lily?s Salted Almond chocolate for extra goodness which added melty, gooey, chocolatey perfection! Also delicious to mix in are ChocZero’s chocolate chips – they both melt wonderfully and no guilt!
NOTE: you can use Swerve instead of powdered Erythritol or your sweetener of choice. I’ve been experimenting with Swerve and monkfruit lately and both work well, taste like real sugar and are easier on the gut than straight Erythritol.
UPDATE: the cacao powder I use normally is Navitas, and they recently released a keto cacao powder that is low carb and naturally high-fat. Because of the way it’s processed, this keto cacao powder retains all of cacao’s naturally occurring fat — which makes this superfood even better!
Keto Salted Almond and Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp butter?
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut flour?
- 2 tbsp cacao powder or cocoa powder?
- 1 egg beaten?
- 1 tbsp sour cream full fat?
- 1 tbsp chopped Lily?s Salted Almond chocolate?
- 2 - 3 tsp powdered Swerve sweetener or your favorite substitute
- 1/2 tsp baking powder?
- Pinch pink salt?
- Melt butter in mug for around 30 seconds in microwave.?
- And all additional ingredients to mug and mix well. Microwave 60 seconds. ?
- Top with Keto whipped cream (I made mine fresh by beating heavy cream and stevia).?