Taco Tuesday is a weekly dinner tradition in our home and slowly, I’m making all of our standard elements for it keto. While my kids still use traditional flour tortillas for theirs (while I either opt for a lettuce wrap or low-carb tortilla), they now love this Spanish Cauliflower Rice recipe as a substitute to “real” rice.
Sometimes we’ll skip the tomato paste and go for a Chipotle-inspired cilantro-lime cauliflower rice by simply adding the juice of half a lime to this recipe – either way, it’s delicious for taco night or as the base to a Mexican bowl with ground turkey, avocado and crema on top!
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 medium yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small serrano pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- If using frozen cauliflower, thaw in microwave for 2 - 3 minutes and then drain well by placing the cauliflower rice in a clean kitchen towel and squeezing out excess water.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add onion and sauté until onion softens and turns translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, serrano pepper, and garlic, then stir gently for 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth then add the chili powder and cauliflower into the pan and allow to cook for 15 minutes until most of the moisture in the pan has evaporated is tender.
- Remove from heat and fold butter and cilantro. Serve warm with sour cream.