As I mentioned, I have been experimenting with keto tortillas recipes for a while without great success. A lot of the Keto and Low Carb Tortilla recipes out there are VERY eggy and just don’t hold together well. However, after lots of experimenting and combining chemistry with quality foods – I came up with the best, easiest keto, low carb tortilla recipe. This dough also does really well when stored for a few days in the fridge. This makes around 8 taco-sized tortillas and comes in at only 2g net carbs each!
Best of all, they hold up, don’t fall apart – so these keto tortillas are now a Taco Tuesday staple in our house. Filled with taco meat, shredded lettuce, cheese and avocado with a dollop of sour cream and my new favorite hot sauce – Truff – it doesn’t get much better!
If you don’t feel like making keto tortillas from scratch, there are a few options out there. My favorite are the Cut Da Carb wraps, which are so versatile and work really well for burritos, and lately I have been crisping up Folio’s wraps which have been my favorite substitute for a keto hard taco shell.
NOTE: the combination of almond flour and coconut flour is truly magical. After years of testing with either / or recipes, I’ve found that a balance of 1/4 coconut flour to every cup of almond flour results in an ideal consistency for near every traditional flour recipe. Try this combo and play around!
Low Carb Keto Tortillas
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons guar gum (can substitute Xantham gum)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan sea salt
- 1 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water optional
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, guar gum, baking powder and salt in a food processor. Gently pulse until just combined.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and lime juice and stream into the food processor while it's running.
- Once combined, pour in the egg. If the mixture still looks powdery and not dough like, slowly add up to 2 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon at a time. You may not need the water.
- Stop the food processor once the dough forms into a ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and knead for a couple of minutes. Then let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Remove set dough from plastic wrap and cut into 8 pieces. Roll into balls and then roll with a rolling pin into 5-inch rounds. I recommend placing the balls in between plastic wrap or parchment paper for to eliminate sticking.
- Transfer to skillet and cook over medium heat for and cook until just lightly golden. These tortillas will puff up! Only cook them for about 30 seconds on each side...you don't want to over cook.
- Eat immediately and store unused dough in fridge for up to three days.
[…] The Best Low Carb Keto Tortillas […]
[…] can wrap into clean, easy to eat, portable deliciousness. So while I have experimented with my own low carb tortillas with decent success, I heard about all the buzz around NuCo’s Coconut Wraps (only 4g net […]