Mounjaro is a medication for diabetics that is taking the weight loss world by storm. Though not approved as a weight loss medication as yet (expect this to be coming in Spring 2023), thousands of patients are using Mounjaro (Tirzepatide) to lose weight because it suppresses their appetite and increases their metabolism, while also improving insulin resistance and other benefits.
What is Mounjaro (Tirzepatide)?
Mounjaro (Tirzepatide) is a medication for diabetics that has shown promising results in weight loss. Though not yet approved as a weight loss medication, Mounjaro has been used by thousands of patients with great success. Tirzepatide helps to suppress appetite and increase metabolism, resulting in significant weight loss for many patients.
Mounjaro is a medication that is injected once a week. The recommended dose for weight loss is 10mg, but some patients may need a higher dose. Your doctor will start a patient with a loading dose of 2.5mg at first, to minimize side effects and slowly increase dosage until the patient get to the right therapeutic dose. Mounjaro is usually well-tolerated, with the most common side effects being nausea and headache.
While Mounjaro suppresses appetite and increases metabolism, it’s an important tool to help make healthy lifestyle changes so that patients can maximize weight loss and health benefits. Many patients on Mounjaro use in in conjunction with a ketogenic diet to help lose even more weight and minimize side effects. A ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that has been shown to be very effective for weight loss. When combined with Mounjaro, patients can see even greater results.
Why Keto Diet with Mounjaro?
A keto diet is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that has been shown to be very effective for weight loss. When combined with Mounjaro, patients can see even greater results.
The keto diet helps to:
1. Lose weight: A ketogenic diet is a great way to lose weight quickly and efficiently. When combined with Mounjaro, patients can lose even more weight.
2. Reduce inflammation: Keto diets are effective at reducing inflammation, which can lead to many health benefits.
3. Increase energy: Ketones produced by the body during ketosis provide an alternative source of energy that can help increase energy levels.
4. Reduce hunger: The high-fat and low-carbohydrates in a keto diet help to reduce hunger and cravings, making it easier to stick to the diet plan.
5. Minimize side effects: Because Mounjaro also delays gastric emptying – so patients feel full for longer – it’s important to eat as clean of a diet as possible to avoid side effects like gas, bloating and abdominal discomfort. Eating high carb and greasy foods on Mounjaro has been found to cause the most extreme side effects.
How to Minimize Side Effects on Mounjaro
Everyone is different and some patients will inevitably experience side effects – headache, nausea, bloating, abdominal discomfort, fatigue and muscle aches and pains among them – when taking Mounjaro. To help minimize side effects, I recommend following the same protocols when starting a keto diet to minimize “keto flu” symptoms which can be very similar.
- Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to help flush out the system and stay hydrated. I start my day by filling a large water bottle (32 oz) with water and adding a sugar-free electrolyte powder like Ultima. I try to drink at least 3 bottles (96 oz) of water a day.
- Get rest! Aim for at least 7 hours of sleep each night and prioritize down time to help your body adjust at first.
- Don’t overdo exercise at first. While exercise is an important component of weight loss and should be incorporated with Mounjaro and keto, take it easy the first week. Go for light walks and slowly increase your activity level.
Remember, as with any weight loss regimen, it’s a journey and not a sprint! While you’ll find amazing success stories of rapid weight loss on Mounjaro and keto, a healthy goal of losing 1 – 2 pounds a week is the most sustainable and best-for-your-body approach to weight loss and to keeping the weight off!
If you are on Mounjaro or considering it, here are a few resources and tips:
- Join a Facebook or online support group – there are lots of groups online with other Mounjaro patients sharing their experiences. Join one (or more) in addition to speaking to your doctor for advice, tips and support.
- Go Keto – my books will help you get started on a keto diet and offer tons of easy, delicious recipes to help you with the transition.
- Stay positive – focus on wins and the positive aspects of your journey and turn to your support network (friends, family, medical professionals, online / offline support groups) to make it through!