I am a huge fan of wraps, burritos and anything that I can wrap into clean, easy to eat, portable deliciousness. And, I’m also obsessed with shrimp burritos – they are among my favorite foods so of course, I had to try low carb shrimp burritos. While I have experimented with my own low carb tortillas with decent success, I heard about all the buzz around NuCo’s Coconut Wraps which are only made of coconut meal and other coconut goodness (only 4g net carbs each!) and was on a mission to find them.
And I did at my local Erewhon. Honestly, I don’t pop in Erewhon often because it’s a very expensive grocery store in a very trendy part of Los Angeles. However, they were literally the only store near me that carried this unicorn product and I had to have them. So I took my younger son, who lives for Erewhon sushi – I let him splurge today – and went on a quick trip to grab these wraps. I picked up the “Moringa” version – which is best translated as slightly sweet. I would have gone for the plain / original version, however the store didn’t carry them.
Moringa is a plant-based superfood which adds some nice health benefits to these wraps, but from what I could tell after trying them, didn’t impact the taste. I also picked up the Cinnamon wraps and will be trying a breakfast crepe with them in the next few days too. Stay tuned!
So, I decided to try and recreate my favorite shrimp burrito recipe with the Moringa / plain version…and it was not a disappointment AT ALL. The only thing is that the NuCo wraps are pricey – around $10 (at least at my local health food store in Los Angeles) for 5 wraps. I recommend using them sparingly for when you really need your burrito fix.
UPDATE: I can now get these at Whole Foods and Thrive Market also sells similar coconut wraps that are delicious!
Low Carb Shrimp Burritos
- 2 tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 tbsp Pico de Gallo
- 2 oz raw and peeled large Shrimp
- 1 NuCo Coconut Wraps or your favorite low carb wrap
- 1/8 cup Chopped Red Onion
- 2 tbsp Sour cream
- 1/2 medium Avocado
- Chop red onion, cilantro and cabbage
- heat olive oil in a medium to large skillet over medium-high heat
- add minced garlic clove and heat until soft
- add shrimp and seasonings
- add chopped vegetables and remove from heat once shrimp is cooked through.
- Set your preferred low carb tortilla or wrap on a plate and place shrimp mixture in center of wrap.
- Add desired toppings: more onion, cabbage, cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream or cheese.
- Tightly wrap burrito by first folding in left and right sides and rolling tight from bottom to top.
- Serve with fresh pico de gallo and sour cream.