While sweet potatoes aren’t 100% keto-approved, they do fall on the lower end of the glycemic index and are packed with health benefits, so I’m including this delicious low carb roasted sweet potatoes recipe on my keto Holiday menu as a bit of a cheat that is well worth it in terms of flavor and nutrition.
There are quite a few great sugar and brown sugar substitutes on the market – my favorites being Swerve Brown and Lakanto Golden – the Swerve has a more molasses-like, dark brown sugar flavor which the Lakanto is more like a light brown sugar dupe. I suggest experimenting with both to figure out which you prefer!
Brown Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar substitute I like Swerve Brown or Lakanto Golden sweetener
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage julienned (cut in thin strips)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Add sweet potatoes and brown sugar substitute to a bowl and toss to coat.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it melts and then starts to brown…make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove browned butter from heat and add thyme and sage.
- Add the butter mixture to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the potatoes in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 45 minutes until the potatoes a soft and glossy.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve!