In case you haven’t noticed, I’m on a soup kick over the past week. It’s finally getting cooler in Southern California so I’m making keto soups to keep me warm – today, I made a Creamy Keto Tomato soup with croutons – that comes in at under 8g of net carbs per serving and is the perfect side at lunch or a meal with some mini meatballs for dinner.
Tomatoes get a bad rap by some because of their high sugar content, but when combined with delicious bone broth and heavy cream, you don’t need a lot of tomatoes to get a lot of flavor. Add the garlicky low carb croutons and you’re in for a low carb meal that will warm your belly and soul!
The low carb garlic croutons are optional in this keto tomato soup with croutons recipe, but only take a few minutes to make and are a game changer in this keto soup recipe. It’s essentially a 90 second keto bread recipe that’s cut in cubes and toasted in the oven. You can make the keto croutons in advance and store them in an airtight bag for up to 3 days….I’ll be making keto stuffing at Thanksgiving this year – stay tuned for that recipe coming up next week!
I always use fine milled almond flour in my keto recipes, it removes a lot of the grittiness for a more bread-like texture.
Creamy Keto Tomato Soup
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes no sugar added (2 cans)
- 2 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable broth if you're vegetarian
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- pink salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a deep pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic cook until softened, about 4 - 5 minutes
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes, broth, and heavy cream, turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a slow boil.
- Slowly add the cheese and stir continuously until it's all melted.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup mixture in the pot until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully pour the soup into a blender and blitz until combined and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper, top with low carb garlic croutons and some extra shredded cheese, enjoy!
Low Carb Garlic Croutons
For the Bread
- 6 tbsp almond flour fine milled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
For the Crouton Topping
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- Preheat over to 350℉.
- In a small rectangular or square baking dish, add the flour, baking powder, italian seasoning, pink salt, coconut oil and eggs and whisk until completely combined and smooth.
- Place in microwave and cook for 90 seconds on high. Keep cooking in 30 second increments until it's completely cooked through.
- Remove from microwave and let sit for 10 minutes until cooled.
- Remove the bread from the pan and cut into cubes (whatever size you prefer, I like mine bigger).
- Add the cubes to a small bowl.
- Mix the melted butter with the garlic, parsley and garlic salt. Gently toss the bread cubes in the butter mixture to coat and place on a lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and toss with parmesan.