Zucchini is a staple in my diet – it’s so versatile, very keto-friendly and is loaded with nutrition. This Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Boats recipe along with others, is high in fiber, which those living a ketogenic lifestyle need, zucchini packs vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate and potassium (another keto need). Also, because zucchini is rich in anti-oxidants and phytonutrients that help us get rid of free radicals and inflammation, zucchini is a must-have on the Ketology plans because it slows down aging. When cooking zucchini – don’t peel them! The peels are critical in regulating insulin levels and thyroid and adrenal functions (also important for women over 40) because of their vitamin C and polyphenol content.
I love this super easy Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Boats recipe as a side for almost everything – fish, chicken, steak or even as a snack. Now, it’s important that the pork rinds you choose are not laden with trans fats! Ground pork rinds are a great breadcrumb alternate that is zero carb, however we still need to remember that we want only GOOD fats. I love the Pork Panko brand if you want them already crumbled up or the 4505 or Epic brands if you want to have them on hand for snacks and then crumble them up recipes like these!
Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Boats
- 4 zucchini halved lengthwise
- 2/3 cup crushed plain pork rinds
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400?F
- Spray a baking tray or sheet with non stick cooking oil spray
- Place the zucchini halves, cut side up, on the baking sheet.
- Mix together the crushed pork rinds, parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter; season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/3 teaspoon pepper (or to taste).
- Mix the ingredients together until the pork rinds absorb the butter.
- Spoon the mixture over each zucchini half, to evenly cover. Spray the topping with a little cooking oil spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the hot oven until the crust is golden and the zucchini halves are cooked through.
- Broil for a further 5 minutes on medium heat to crisp the topping.