Zucchini is a staple in my diet – it’s so versatile, very keto-friendly and is loaded with nutrition. High in fiber, which those living a ketogenic lifestyle need, zucchini packs vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate and potassium (another keto need). Also, because zucchini is rich in anti-oxidants and phytonutrients that help us get rid of free radicals and inflammation, zucchini is a must-have on the Ketology plans because it slows down aging. When cooking zucchini – don’t peel them! The peels are critical in regulating insulin levels and thyroid and adrenal functions (also important for women over 40) because of their vitamin C and polyphenol content.
I love this super easy Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Boats as a side for almost everything – fish, chicken, steak or even as a snack. Now, it’s important that the pork rinds you choose are not laden with trans fats! Ground pork rinds are a great breadcrumb alternate that is zero carb, however we still need to remember that we want only GOOD fats. I love the 4505 brand and Epic for pork rinds that are healthy.
- 4 zucchini halved lengthwise
- 2/3 cup crushed plain pork rinds
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Spray a baking tray or sheet with non stick cooking oil spray
- Place the zucchini halves, cut side up, on the baking sheet.
- Mix together the crushed pork rinds, parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter; season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/3 teaspoon pepper (or to taste).
- Mix the ingredients together until the pork rinds absorb the butter.
- Spoon the mixture over each zucchini half, to evenly cover. Spray the topping with a little cooking oil spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the hot oven until the crust is golden and the zucchini halves are cooked through.
- Broil for a further 5 minutes on medium heat to crisp the topping.