I love Smashed Brussels Sprouts – we make Brussels Sprouts very often for dinner either in the air fryer or this method which is my new favorite ways to enjoy them. I parboil and then “smash” the sprouts before popping the green nuggets in the oven to crisp up and absorb the flavors of the spices.
Beyond being tasty, Brussels sprouts are high in fiber and are also part of the cabbage family – so they are considered cruciferous vegetables which have been found to protect us from heart disease. Brussels Sprouts are also especially rich in Vitamin K which contributes to bone health while the high level of antioxidants aid in easing inflammation – which is one of the primary benefits of a ketogenic lifestyle in the long-term.
I like to season these smashed brussels sprouts pretty simply, with some garlic powder and crushed red chilis and then top it with shaved parmesan at the end for them to crisp up! I could eat a whole bowl of these on their own – and often have! – without anything else, however these Brussels are perfect on the side with steak! If you want some extra flavor, try Momofuku’s “Tingly” blend – this Asian-inspired combination is delicious on vegetables!
I usually serve these brussels sprouts on the side when we have steak for dinner, but also even on burger night on occasion as an alternative to my jicama fries!
Garlic-Parmesan Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Fill a medium saucepan 3/4 full of water and add some kosher salt. Bring water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add your Brussels sprouts and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Drain, pat dry and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Using the bottom of a glass, “smash” the Brussels individually and press them into little patties. I don’t smash them too much - just enough to crack them open.
- Drizzle the avocado oil over the sprouts, and sprinkle evenly with garlic powder and crushed red pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and broil for another 2 - 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve!