Is there any better smell than walking through a mall or airport and getting a whiff of Cinnabon’s decadent cinnamon rolls as you walk by? Or even Auntie Anne’s pretzels when they’re baking their cinnamon sugar pretzels? I just gained 5 pounds thinking about them – however lately so many readers have been asking me for a keto cinnamon rolls recipe, so I went at it…and my sons really liked this experimentation phase!
Using a fathead dough (if you’re wondering what fathead dough is – read on below!), these keto cinnamon rolls are very similar in texture to my keto bagels but I also add ground flax meal like in my keto bread to give it a more chewy, bun-like texture. The result are these perfectly dense and chewy keto cinnabons that soak up all the sweet and spicy goodness without the guilt. At 3 grams of net carbs each, this is a treat you’ll love in the mornings with your bulletproof coffee!
The frosting to drizzle atop these also works great on keto carrot cake, which I’ll be posting the recipe for later this week. I used Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener in my keto cinnamon rolls, but you can use Swerve any sweetener you prefer.
What is fathead dough?
Fathead dough first came on the keto scene as a pizza crust alternative, but keto chefs soon found that this low carb and gluten-free dough can be used for all sorts of traditionally dough-based recipes. Fathead dough is usually made from melting mozzarella and cream cheese together and adding a keto-friendly flour and usually an egg. The result is a very dough-like consistency that meets keto macros!
Keto Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup almond flour fine milled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter softened
- 1 - 2 tbsp pecan chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 -2 tbsp powdered Lakanto Monkruit sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350?
For the Dough
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella and cream cheeses.
- Heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between until completely melted and smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder and ground flax meal and combine to form dough.
- Mix the dough well until you can form a ball. The dough will be soft - this is ok!
- Place the dough in the middle of two pieces of parchment. Using a rolling pin, roll out into a square, about 1/4" in thickness.
For the Cinnamon Filling
- Using a pastry brush, liberally paint the softened butter on the dough, making sure to cover all of the dough.
- In a small bowl, mix ground cinnamon and sweetener. Sprinkle keto cinnamon sugar mixture atop of the butter and then layer the chopped pecans over that.
- Starting at one end roll the cinnamon roll dough into a tight log.
- Cut into 1" wheels - you should end up with 8 in total.
- Spray a muffin tin lightly with cooking spray and place one rolls in the cups.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the keto cinnamon rolls from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
For the Frosting
- Combine the cream cheese, heavy cream and powdered sweetener in a bowl using a hand mixer until smooth. It should be thin, more like an icing than frosting.
- Drizzle over the warm rolls and enjoy!