Tangy sweet keto BBQ grilled chicken is one of our summer staples – it’s a crowd pleaser, super easy to cook and a nice change from burgers. Barbecued meat is perfect on a keto lifestyle – grilling brings out amazing flavors and natural juices…the only thing to beware of is the sauce! Like salad dressings and ketchup, many bbq sauces have loads of added sugar, so stick with a keto-friendly bbq sauce like Primal Kitchen or my favorite, G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ Sauce. Also, while optional, I also add Pyure’s Harmless Honey to the sauce — it adds a hint of sweetness that is out of this world – but you can skip it.
Now, beyond the keto BBQ grilled chicken recipe, perfectly char-grilled chicken also starts with a properly heated grill. Make sure to preheat your grill for 10 to 15 minutes — this ensures your meat stays juicy and doesn’t dry out. As for the cut of meat, you can really go with your preferred cut – I typically like to make drumsticks or chicken breasts on the grill but really any cut you love works…even wings!
Keto BBQ Grilled Chicken
- 2 cups keto barbecue sauce I like Primal Kitchen or G. Hughes
- 2 tbsp Pyure Sugar-Free Harmless Honey
- 1 tbsp Frank's hot sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- coconut oil spray
- 1 pound skinless chicken pieces breasts, drumsticks, thighs...whatever you love!
- In a large bowl, whisk together barbecue sauce, lime juice, harmless honey (if using), and hot sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the keto BBQ sauce for basting.
- Add your chicken to the bowl (make sure to take 1/2 cup out first!) and toss to coat.
- Pre-heat your grill on high for 10 - 15 minutes.
- When heated, spray the grates with the cooking spray.
- Lay your chicken pieces on the grill and baste with the extra sauce you put aside. This is an important step for perfect barbecued chicken!
- Grill for 8 - 10 minutes and flip each piece. Continue grilling for another 8 - 10 minutes until a cooking thermometer reads 165℉ when inserted into the thickest part (away from the bone).