Chicken parmesan is a great way to stretch the abilities of cooking on keto — at first thought, keto chicken parmesan seems impossible with the breaded chicken and usually served atop spaghetti. However thanks to some effective keto hacks, you can enjoy a savory keto chicken parmesan with minimal effort!
The secret? If you’ve followed me or tried some of my other recipes, you know that I always stock my pantry with pork rinds, pork rind crumbs and pork panko for breading an all sorts of other keto creations. Pork rinds are also a tasty potato chip alternative – they are one of my keto essentials for sure.
For for the pasta base, while you can always go for zucchini noodles (aka zoodles) which I love and have often, new versions of shiritaki or konjac noodles which are zero carb and very low calorie, have come a LONG way as far as texture and taste. My current favorite is NuPasta however there are plenty of options to choose from, many that you can find at your local supermarket.
Ok, so on to the recipe – enjoy!
Keto Chicken Parmesan
- 8 oz chicken breast skinless and boneless
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp pork rinds crushed
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce we like Rao's
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- Butterfly your chicken breast and pound to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into two cutlets.
- In a small bowl, which egg and heavy cream together.
- In a shallow dish or plate, combine pork rind crumbs, parmesan and seasonings.
- Take one chicken cutlet and coat with egg mixture.
- Transfer to the "breading" and coat thoroughly. Press in the breading to make sure it sticks.
- Repeat with other cutlet.
- Place a skillet (I like cast iron) over medium-high heat.
- Add coconut oil and heat.
- Add the chicken cutlets and fry until a thermometer reads 165℉ (about 3 minutes on each side).
- Once cooked through, transfer chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to soak up excess oil, then transfer chicken to a baking dish.
- Preheat your oven's broiler.
- Top chicken cutlets evenly with marinara sauce and then mozzarella.
- Broil for 3 - 5 minutes until bubbly and browned on top.
- Serve with zucchini noodles on your favorite low carb pasta with some extra parmesan on the side.