Coleslaw is a BBQ necessity, and the cabbage in coleslaw not only packs great nutrients but is low carb at just 2 grams of net carbs per CUP of shredded cabbage and combined with a high quality, high fat dressing or mayonnaise, it’s the perfect accompaniment for any keto barbecue to top on burgers and sandwiches or serve on the side with your grilled chicken.
Health Benefits of Cabbage
In addition to being low carb, cabbage is packed with fiber and nutrients like vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, calcium and magnesium. The high Vitamin C content is essential as we age – it helps with collagen production and can reduce cancer risk. Cabbage also contains powerful antioxidants that protect your body from free radical damage and keeps inflammation at bay. Cabbage has also been known to help with everything from lowering cholesterol levels and blood pressure and contributes to heart health.
Coleslaw usually has some sweetness – which comes from sugar in most traditional recipes – so I use a substitute, either Swerve or erythritol. While you can also omit the sugar, if you’re going for that classic coleslaw flavor and want to keep it keto, go for the sweetener. So go ahead and make that keto coleslaw to go with your BBQ!
- 1 cup avocado oil-based mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar preferably with "The Mother"
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Swerve sweetener or granulated erythritol
- 2 tsp celery seed
- pink salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 bag coleslaw mix or 1/2 large cabbage, sliced thin
- In a medium bowl, whisk mayo, apple cider vinegar, mustard, sweetener and celery seed until combined.
- Add pink salt and pepper to taste.
- Add coleslaw mix or sliced cabbage and combine well to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or until ready to serve.