Cornbread is a holiday favorite – and a New Year’s tradition however of course, corn is definitely a no-no on a keto diet. However, like with so many other genius hacks, you can make a delicious low carb cornbread that is great for holidays and the Keto Cornbread with Jalapenos is a favorite in my household with my low carb chili recipe.
Keto Cornbread without cornmeal and corn?
How to get all the flavor and texture of cornbread without the corn or cornmeal? While most of my baking recipes tout the brilliance of almond flour and coconut flour combined for the best results – and superfine almond flour at that – in this case, we use a courser almond flour to nail the crumbly yet moist goodness of traditional cornbread and cornbread extract to nail the flavor. I have tried corn extract which also works well, but this very specific cornbread extract on Amazon really pulls through on flavor without the carbs.
Cooking in a Cast Iron Skillet
You don’t have to bake this keto cornbread recipe in a cast iron skillet – I love it for presentation – I leave it in the skillet after baking, let it cool, cut it into wedges and put it right on the table!
Keto Cornbread with Jalapenos
- 2 cups blanched almond flour not fine milled
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Swerve granulated sugar substitute
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 4 eggs beaten
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream full fat
- 8 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp Cornbread extract
- 1 jalapeno diced (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 ? and place your cast iron skillet in there while preparing the keto cornbread batter.
- In a medium bowl, mix almond flour, baking powder, Swerve and salt
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, heavy cream and sour cream together until mixed well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and fold until just combined, and then stream in the melted butter while continuing to fold until the batter is smooth - but don't over mix!
- Fold in the diced jalape?os.
- Remove the cast iron (it will be hot, so use oven mitts!) from the oven, add a little butter to coat the bottom (1 - 2 tbsp).
- Pour the batter into the skillet - you can top it with some jalapeno slices if desired.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cut into 8 wedges and enjoy!