This is about my favorite way to prepare keto egg salad, but I need to provide some background about why I’m sharing a very simple keto egg salad recipe today.
Since the pandemic began, like many, I have become TikTok obsessed. Beyond lip syncing and dancing, TikTok has lots of useful and funny videos – and SO MANY keto enthusiasts sharing their recipes. A recent trend has been to take bell peppers and top them with cream cheese and different toppings as snacks and then folks took it to another level of making keto “sandwiches” with the bell pepper on the outside as the bread substitute. Gordon Ramsay even got in on it and wasn’t a fan of low carb bell pepper sandwiches, however I have to say, I love the idea. I’ve always loved bell peppers, especially red bell peppers, and then when I saw popular TikTok-ers putting chicken and egg salads in their bell pepper boats, I had to try.
So, today, for a snack, I made a delicious egg salad (recipe below) and used my Dash Egg Cooker for the first time which I’m now obsessed with…I used to swear by making hard boiled in my Instant Pot, but this is so much easier. I can’t wait to try it for poached eggs!
Ok, back to my keto egg salad recipe. The basics of a really delicious egg salad is to start with really high quality ingredients – I use pasture raised eggs and avocado mayonnaise.? I love egg salad so I’ll whip this up a couple times a week for a snack or, when stuffed inside a half a bell pepper and topped with some Tajin seasoning – two halves makes a delicious lunch! I also like topping a hollowed out, firm tomato half with the low carb egg salad – whatever you prefer!
What are you favorite ways to jazz up your egg salad? Also – are you TikTok obsessed? Share in the comments below about your favorite TikTok keto finds!
Keto Egg Salad
- 8 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion or cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Prepare Hard Boiled Eggs
- Prepare your hard boiled eggs using your favorite method. I use the my Instant Pot or Dash Egg Cooker to make a dozen hard-boiled eggs at the beginning of the week so I always have them on hand for keto egg salad or for a snack. If you want to go the traditional route of boiling them in a pan, place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 12 minutes. Do not open the lid until the 12 minutes are up!
- Remove from the water and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking.
- When cool, peel and chop.
Make the Egg Salad
- Place the chopped eggs in a bowl, and stir in the mayonnaise and mustard. Mix well being careful not to break up the chopped egg and turn it into mush.
- Add green onion (or cilantro) and the seasonings.