Flan has always been one of my favorite desserts – the custard and caramel combination is just heavenly and making keto flan is actually very simple! I converted a traditional flan recipe that I have been making for decades by only switching out the sugar for Swerve granulated sweetener (or your preferred sweetener). You can use your preferred sweetener – I just recommend watching the keto caramel cooking process very carefully. Even when making traditional caramel, you have to watch it as it cooks as the sugar syrup can quickly go from perfect caramel to burnt…and this is even more important when making keto flan or keto caramel because the alternative sugar will burn even faster.
A few tips when making Keto Flan:
If you haven’t made caramel before, you should know that when you’re first cooking the sweetener, butter and water, the sweetener will crystalize on the sides of your pan, this is normal and as it heats and you swirl the mixture around, the sweetener will melt down and create a smooth, glossy caramel. I typically start by using a rubber spatula to ensure the three ingredient keto caramel is well combined, but then – as demonstrated in the video – I just swirl it around in the pan as it cook. You’ll know when the caramel is ready when it starts to bubble up — at that point it will start to brown quickly so you want to continue swirling until you reach a deep, beautiful golden brown color.
Once you’ve assembled the caramel and custard mixture in ramekins and baked them in the water bath in your oven, the mixture will still be VERY jiggly and liquidy. This is OK! Let the ramekins sit in the water bath for another 10 minutes out of the oven and then place the ramekins (sans the water bath) in your fridge for a few hours or preferably overnight if you can wait!
FOR THE CARAMEL
- 1/3 cup Swerve granulated sweetener
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
FOR THE CUSTARD
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup Swerve granulated sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350?
TO MAKE THE KETO CARAMEL
- In a saucepan, add the Swerve, water and butter oven medium high heat.
- Mix well and let it just come to a boil.
- Start to swirl the mixture around gently in the pan until your caramel turns golden brown.
- Divide the caramel evenly between four ramekins and allow to cool and firm up.
TO MAKE THE KETO CUSTARD
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks until smooth and set aside.
- In another medium bowl. whisk the 1/4 cup of Swerve with the heavy cream, Swerve and vanilla extract.
- Add the egg mixture to the cream mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Split the custard mixture among the ramekins, on top of the caramel which should be cool.
- Place the ramekins in a deep baking dish (I usually use a round cake tin).
- Prepare the water bath by filling the tin with water – to half the height of the ramekins.
- Carefully place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, carefully remove the baking dish from the oven. The custard mixture will still be very jiggly, this is ok!
- Leave the ramekins in the water bath for 15 – 20 minutes.
- The, remove the ramekins from the water bath and place them in your fridge for at least 4 – 6 hours, preferably overnight so they can set completely.
- When ready to enjoy, carefully run a knife along the inner edge of the ramekin to loosen the flan. Then place a plate upside-down on top of the ramekin and then flip to release the flan from the ramekin onto your plate.