This keto jam is perfect on keto toast, in yogurt or on top of your favorite low carb ice cream! Blackberries are a glorious fruit – I could snack on them all day and thankfully, they are among the fruits that are lowest on the glycemic index, so blackberries are perfect if you’re wanting that fruit fix.
I love making this keto blackberry jam with a hint of vanilla. The combination of blackberry with vanilla is delicious. I thicken this jam with chia seeds – similar to my chia pudding, the chia seeds expand and have this gelatinous texture that mimics gelatin. Of course, you can simply use gelatin instead of chia, however I prefer the superfood powers of chia and the texture works well with the texture of the berries.
Benefits of Chia Seeds
In addition to protein and fiber, chia seeds are anti-aging super seeds that are rich in antioxidants and healthy fats. Chia seed oil is actually used in skin care products because it is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and is found to prevent premature skin aging.
Beyond the beauty benefits, studies have shown that adding chia seeds to your diet may reduce cholesterol and heart disease risks and also support brain health as we age and lowers risk of stroke, Alzheimer’s disease and depression.
Sugar-Free Blackberry Vanilla Jam
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated Allulose or your favorite sweetener
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Rinse blackberries well and place in a medium saucepan. Add lemon juice and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and using a potato masher, crush the blackberries.
- Add the vanilla and stir. Simmer for another minute or two and remove from heat.
- Add in your sweetener and chia seeds and stir until well combined. Make sure there are no chia clumps.
- Allow to cool and transfer to a mason jar or airtight container.
- Store in fridge for up to a week!