I have been obsessed with lemons lately — we always have a big bowl of them in the kitchen and beyond juicing them to add to my water bottle and on fish, chicken and salads, I have been meaning to make this keto lemon bars or keto lemon squares recipe for quite literally years and had been putting it off. Lemon bars or lemon squares are a family favorite — so fresh and summery! I had to make a low carb, keto lemon bars recipe!
For the shortbread crust, I used a combination of coconut flour and finely sifted almond flour — I almost always combine the two when baking to achieve the perfect texture. And while I typically prefer Allulose as my sweetener when baking, this recipe uses powdered sweetener so I use powdered Monkfruit which is the best powdered sweetener in my opinion. If you don’t have powdered sweetener, you can easily make it yourself by taking your favorite sweetener and blitzing it in the blender until it’s a fine powder.
This makes a pretty big batch – cut the keto lemon squares into small pieces as a little packs a punch! And, with only 4g of net carbs per piece, these will become a staple in your keto kitchen!
These keto lemon squares / keto lemon bars will store in the fridge for up to a week – just keep them in an airtight container!
Keto Lemon Bars
For the shortbread
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Lightly spray an 8-inch square baking dish (preferably at least 2-inches deep) with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine coconut and almond flour, melted butter, and powdered monkfruit. Mix with a fork until it comes together and a dough is formed. Press the shortbread into the lined pan and use the fork to poke a few holes.
- Bake the shortbread for 15 minutes, until just golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, mix the lemon juice, and powdered Monkfruit with a hand mixer on low. When combined, add the eggs – one at a time until combined. Add the egg yolk and when smooth, mix in the coconut flour.
- Remove the shortbread crust from the oven and pour the lemon mixture on top
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let your keto lemon squares cool in the pan for at least an hour. When cool, transfer to the fridge overnight.
- Cut into 12 squares and sprinkle the tops with extra powdered Monkfruit.