We make this classic keto meatloaf recipe a few times a month – it’s a tasty, easy dinner that also makes for excellent leftovers the next day! Thanks to one of my favorite keto breadcrumb substitutions, crushed pork rinds, you won’t miss the breadcrumbs that are normally used in meatloaf at all. You can either buy pork rinds (we love them as keto potato chip alternatives) and crush them at home or you can buy a jar of pork rind crumbs on Amazon. To crush pork rinds at home, simple place them in a plastic ziploc bag and either roll over the bag a few times with a rolling pin or just crush ’em with your hands!
I usually use 85/15 ground beef in this recipe – I stock up on ground beef at Costco because they have high quality ground beef options at the best price. Some prefer to use 80/20 for a juicier meat loaf. I sometimes put slices of bacon on top of the keto meatloaf recipe for some extra smokey flavor – in which case I opt for a lower fat content beef. Play around and see what you prefer!
- 1 pound 85/15 ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 medium yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed pork rinds
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp erythritol or swerve
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400?.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients, except tomato paste, butter, erythritol, and water. Form meat mixture into a loaf pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat tomato paste, butter, erythritol, and water. Whisk until smooth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and allow the sauce to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce over your meatloaf, cover the pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil halfway through the cook time.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm with creamed cauliflower or fresh broccoli on the side!