As I’ve discussed at length, we are big Taco Tuesday fans around here. I’ve found plenty of options to make our favorite taco recipes keto-friendly, including keto Spanish rice! Cauliflower is a great substitute for rice and you can pretty much find riced cauliflower – both frozen and fresh – at your supermarket.
I love to serve this keto Spanish rice on the side or in my keto tacos and burritos. Topped with some full fat sour cream and extra cilantro, this recipe is sure to become a keto taco Tuesday staple in your house as well!
If you prefer to rice your own cauliflower, that works too – just take a full head of cauliflower, break it apart and give it a few gentle spins in your food processor. If you opt for frozen riced cauliflower, just make sure to drain it well and squeeze out any excess moisture in a tea towel or kitchen towel for the best results!
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 medium yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small serrano pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- If using frozen cauliflower, thaw in microwave for 2 - 3 minutes and then drain well by placing the cauliflower rice in a clean kitchen towel and squeezing out excess water.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add onion and sauté until onion softens and turns translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, serrano pepper, and garlic, then stir gently for 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth then add the chili powder and cauliflower into the pan and allow to cook for 15 minutes until most of the moisture in the pan has evaporated is tender.
- Remove from heat and fold butter and cilantro. Serve warm with sour cream.