This superfood packed, deliciously comforting keto oatmeal for breakfast packs in tons of antioxidants, protein and healthy fat with only 3g of net carbs per serving! The mixture of hemp hearts – which are loaded with protein, essential fatty acids and Vitamin E – chia seeds and flaxseed meal along with slivered almonds creates an oatmeal dupe and topped with fresh blueberries, it’s a low carb and power-packed way to start the day.
I make this with homemade almond milk – I make a batch each week and it’s so easy to make from scratch to ensure you aren’t getting any unnecessary fillers and crap in your almond milk. Between my sons and I, we finish off a carton in a few days. I love it in this keto “oatmeal” recipe because it adds creaminess without heaviness. I use a combo of hemp hearts, flaxseed and chia because each are packed with healthy fats and antioxidants our bodies need and especially all are INCREDIBLE for our skin to maintain elasticity and vibrance.
Plus, the combo along with slivered or sliced almonds creates an oatmeal-like texture that is so comforting and satisfying. You can add whatever sweetener you have on hand – I often just use regular Allulose or Monkfruit but if you have the Swerve brown sugar substitute, it brings you back to those cold mornings growing up! Adding a handful of fresh berries (I prefer blueberries or blackberries) adds even more delicious sweetness, plus even MORE fiber and antioxidant goodness!
KETO SUPERFOOD OATMEAL⠀
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk⠀
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon⠀
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom ⠀
- 1/2 cup organic hemp hearts⠀
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal⠀
- 1 tablespoon Swerve brown sugar substitute⠀
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds⠀
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries⠀
- In a small saucepan, bring the almond milk, cardamom and cinnamon to a slow simmer over medium high heat.
- Add the hemp hearts, flaxseed and sweetener.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to thicken, stirring consistently.
- After 4 – 5 minutes, add the chia seeds and mix well – if the "oatmeal" gets too thick for your liking, add almond milk until the consistency is where you want it.
- Mix in blueberries and serve topped with a couple more blueberries.