We have a LOT of food leftover – I’m sure many of you are in the same boat. We decided to do a traditional Thanksgiving with some modern updates, and today we’re making the most of leftovers with my keto turkey casserole or keto turkey pot pie, pumpkin bars and garlic roasted broccoli.
This low carb keto turkey casserole is a variation of my keto chicken pot pie recipe – with a few modifications to account for Thanksgiving leftovers! This has been a family tradition the day after Thanksgiving for decades. I’ll make the keto turkey casserole around noon and then we graze on that and any other leftovers throughout the day! I usually have an open house for friends on the day after Thanksgiving, but we’re playing by the rules for a socially distanced holiday, so we’ll just be eating all the leftovers and treats on our own!
I like to use extra finely milled almond flour – it removes the gritty texture and is most like traditional flour.
I hope you all had a beautiful, safe and happy Thanksgiving – I’d love to hear what was on your menus. And if you make this keto Thanksgiving leftovers recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Keto Turkey Casserole Recipe
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped about 2 stalks
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan gum
- 3 cups leftover turkey – cut into bite-sized pieces
FOR THE FATHEAD CRUST
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 425?.
FOR THE TURKEY FILLING
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter and allow to melt down.
- Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and celery and stir until vegetables have softened and onion is just translucent.
- Add the bone broth and spices.
- Boil and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and xanthan gum.
- Stir until thickened.
- Add the turkey.
- Stir to coat the turkey with the sauce and remove from heat.
FOR THE FATHEAD CRUST
- In a medium plastic or glass bowl, add the mozzarella and cream cheese.
- Microwave in 30 second increments until melted.
- Add eggs and combine until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir – the mixture should be paste-like….not firm like most fathead crust.
- Spoon the dough over the turkey mixture in the cast iron and spread to cover.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until crust is browned.
That’s a wrap on Thanksgiving! 🦃Here’s the best turkey leftovers recipe – keto turkey pot pie!￼ #ketorecipes #ColdWeather #potpie #leftovers
♬ original sound – Lolita