As the temperatures are winding down finally, I’ve been making more stews and soups to keep us warm and for that touch of comfort that comes with curling up on the sofa, under a blanket and with a mug of warm soup on your lap. I’m planning to have this low carb chicken tortilla soup and my keto chili recipe on heavy rotation this fall and winter!
I prepare low carb tortilla chips using Cut Da Carb flatbread fried in avocado oil. For this low carb chicken tortilla soup, I like to cut them into little strips that I sprinkle on top of the soup when serving and also have bigger chip wedges on the side to dip in the deliciously spicy broth. You can also make low carb tortilla chips using any low carb tortilla, but I find the Cut Da Carb options are better for staying truly keto. I always have a pack of their flatbreads in my fridge – and a backup in the freezer too!
The avocado topping is also essential to make this authentic and adds some of those good, healthy fats that we need – plus is just so delicious. I usually use a whole diced avocado and lots of cilantro and queso fresco on tip along with a dollop of sour cream. Yum!
Low Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can green chiles, 4 oz
- 2 cups tomatoes diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups Chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons pink salt
- 2 Chicken breasts cooked and shredded with a fork
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- avocado diced
- Cilantro chopped
- Sour cream
- low carb tortilla chip strips
- wedges of lime
- Place avocado oil to a large dutch over or stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add chopped garlic and cook until just browned, another two minutes.
- Add green chiles, tomatoes, chipotle pepper, oregano, cumin, adobo sauce, chili powder and smoked paprika. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken bone broth, pink salt, and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese and add about a cup of the broth from the pot. Whisk to combine until smooth, and pour the mixture back into the pot.
- Add the shredded chicken, and lime juice and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve piping hot with tortilla chip strips on tip and with extra lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream as toppings.