The cozy embrace of fall demands an equally comforting companion, and what’s better than the classic pumpkin flavor? Baking has always been a staple in our home, and when we took the plunge into the world of low-carb and sugar-free delights, I was determined to keep our baked goods just as delicious. After all, who said healthy couldn’t be tasty?
I’m here to present one of our family’s top picks: the Cream Cheese Pumpkin Muffin. I’ve worked hard to ensure these treats are as moist as any traditional muffin out there. And, oh, that cream cheese frosting! Instead of slathering it on top post-baking, I’ve taken the slightly unconventional approach of baking the frosting right along with the muffin. The result? A delightful texture play that harmoniously blends with the warming spices.
Speaking of spices, my East Indian roots come into play here. I’ve got a soft spot for cardamom—a spice that weaves its magic in many of my baked creations. Combined with the familiar coziness of pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and cinnamon, these muffins encapsulate the very essence of fall in every bite.
For all those who are skeptical about the baked frosting—trust me, I’ve received numerous comments about it. But I stand by this choice. The baked cream cheese lends an incredibly rich texture that perfectly complements the spicy warmth of the muffin.
Let’s dive straight into the recipe, shall we?
Low Carb Cream Cheese Pumpkin Muffins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup grass-fed butter at room temperature
- ⅔ cup sweetener I prefer Allulose
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener Again, Allulose is my go-to
- Ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Ensure your muffin tin is prepped—either line the cups with muffin liners or give them a generous spray with your cooking spray.
- Combine the butter and sweetener in a large bowl (stand mixer recommended). Aim for a creamy consistency.
- Introduce the eggs to this mix one at a time. Be thorough in your mixing after each addition.
- The pumpkin and vanilla go in next. Stir until you have a smooth blend.
- In a separate bowl, mix your dry ingredients—the flours, baking powder, and spices.
- Slowly fold the dry mixture into your wet mix, ensuring a well-combined batter.
- Distribute this batter evenly among your muffin cups.
- Now, onto the cream cheese. Soften it up in a separate bowl and add the sweetener. This is your creamy topping!
- Add about a tablespoon of this creamy mix to each muffin. A sprinkle of cinnamon on top of each will be the finishing touch.
- Bake for around 20 – 30 minutes. You'll know they're done when the muffin tops sport a lovely golden-brown hue.
Serve and enjoy the burst of fall flavors in every bite!
In essence, embracing a low-carb diet doesn’t mean bidding farewell to your favorite treats. With a sprinkle of creativity (and perhaps a dash of cardamom), every bite can be a wholesome yet delicious experience. Cheers to healthy, flavorful journeys! 🍁🥂