Lamb kebabs have always been a staple in Mediterranean cuisine, known for their rich flavors and versatility. Whether you’re in the mood for a hearty sandwich or a wholesome plate with veggies, these lamb kebabs fit the bill seamlessly. Fresh from my recent farmer’s market haul, I’m excited to guide you through a recipe that’s not only delicious but can be adapted and served in countless ways to cater to every palate and occasion.
One of the standout ingredients is Za’atar, a Middle Eastern spice blend typically made from dried thyme, sumac, sesame seeds, and other herbs. It imparts a unique tangy, herbaceous flavor that’s hard to resist. When incorporated into our lamb kebabs, it adds a depth of flavor that’s both exotic and comforting.
Here’s How to Bring this Delicacy to Your Table:
Mediterranean Lamb Kebabs
- 8 oz lamb kebabs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp Za’ataar
- Naan or pita I personally recommend Joseph's high protein, low carb pita
- Sliced red onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Garlic spread The one from Trader Joe’s is my personal favorite!
- Marinating the Lamb: Begin by preparing the marinade. In a bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, olive oil, dried parsley, cumin, and Za’ataar until it’s well combined. If you’re trying to defrost your lamb quickly, a nifty trick is to soak it in a bowl of cold water for about 30 minutes. Once defrosted, transfer the lamb to a Ziploc bag, pour in the marinade, ensuring the lamb is well coated. Remove as much air as possible, seal the bag, and place it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Cooking the Lamb: Once marinated, the lamb can be grilled, baked, or, my preferred method, air-fried. If using an air fryer, ensure the lamb kebabs are spaced out and set the fryer to 400 degrees. Cook for about 25 minutes.
- Preparing the Sides: While the lamb cooks, toast some naan or pita on the stove. For those watching their carb intake, I’ve been loving the low-carb, high-protein pita bread from Joseph’s. Spread some garlic spread (Trader Joe’s version is sublime) inside the pita, and then layer with sliced tomatoes, onions, and a hint of hot sauce for an added kick.
- Serving: Once done, the lamb kebabs can either be served sandwich style inside the pita or paired with some cauliflower rice and vegetables. Whichever way you choose, the result is a tender and flavorful dish, perfect for any meal of the day.
@lowcarblolita Easy Lamb Kebabs in the air fryer. 🍖🥙 I love these with pita bread or naan but they’re also delicious with rice/cauliflower rice, or with a side of veggies. Also a fantastic meal prep option. #lamb #easylambrecipe #airfryerlamb #lowcarbrecipes #healthyrecipes #airfryerrecipes #lambkebabs ♬ original sound – Lolita