While much of the U.S. endures a massive heat wave, National Ice Cream Day couldn’t fall at a more appropriate time! I recently jumped on the Ninja Creami craze and have been making low carb, high protein frozen treats on repeat and have come up with some delicious options that are macro-friendly and refreshing. Whether you have a Creami or not, making ice cream at home is easy and fun.
A great hack for amping up the protein in your low carb ice cream recipes is to use a protein shake (or protein powder and milk, which is my preference) as your base. Some of my favorite protein powders are IsoPure Zero Carb, PurePaleo and Equip. Fairlife shakes are also a popular base for low carb Ninja Creami recipes.
Protein Coffee Ice Cream
- In a medium bowl, whisk cream cheese and protein powder together until smooth.
- Whisk in milk slowly until thoroughly combined.
- Whisk in instant coffee until dissolved.
- Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
Low Carb Matcha Ice Cream
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp matcha powder
- 2 scoops protein powder vanilla or unflavored
- 1 – 2 tbsp sweetener I like Allulose or Monkfruit
- 2 cups milk whole or your favorite nut milk
- In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, vanilla, matcha, protein powder and sweetener until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until thoroughly combined.
- Process according to your ice cream maker's instructions.