Cauliflower gets a bad rap as a low carb alternative to potatoes and other high carb options, however this mashed cauliflower recipe with smooth and smokey roasted garlic pairs perfectly with gravy and is a near perfect dupe for mashed potatoes.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese optional
TO ROAST THE GARLIC:
- Preheat over to 400℉
- Peel the thin, paper-like outer layers from your head of garlic, but keep the bulb and a skin of the individual cloves on.
- Cut about 1/3 inch off the top of the cloves and place in the cup of a muffin tin (you can roast more than one head of garlic and use it for garlic bread or other items).
- Drizzle with avocado oil.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Let cool before removing cloves from the skins.
FOR THE MASHED CAULIFLOWER:
- Wash the cauliflower well and trim the stalks. Cut into bit sized pieces – florets and stems. Just get rid of any really rough parts.a
- Place in a large glass (or other microwave-safe bowl) with the heavy cream and butter.
- Microwave on high for six minutes. Do not cover and even if it starts to make popping noises, leave it be.
- After six minutes, remove and stir the cauliflower up to make sure it is coated in the butter and cream.
- Microwave another six minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor along with the roasted garlic cloves until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with a pat of butter.