I never understood all the buzz around Crack Slaw aka Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl… cabbage and ground beef = Keto heaven? Until I started experimenting with recipes and realized that #1, it’s so easy to make (one pot!) and the combination of flavors is downright addictive. So I tried at least a dozen different recipes until I came up with my own delicious version. You can adjust the heat – I love spicy foods so I turn it WAY up on this, however just use a portion of the sriracha and jalapeno or just eliminate it all together.
In addition to being so good hot – and even better as leftovers – Crack Slaw aka Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl packs in the nutrition while being a perfectly balanced Keto meal. I make a batch of this and use it in my meal prep for a couple of days each week.
The cabbage offers protein and fiber, and also boasts lots of:
- Vitamin K: important for bone health(which becomes even more important as we get older and approach our 40s and beyond) and aids normal blood clotting
- Vitamin C: protection against cardiovascular disease, immune system deficiencies, eye health and helps prevent wrinkles (really)
- Folate: this B vitamin (also known as folic acid when added to foods) is required by our bodies to make DNA and for our cells to divide and the health of our skin, hair and nails is influenced by how much folate we get in our diets. So get this in!
- Manganese: this antioxidant protects against free radicals – molecules that cause damage to our cells and is necessary for the normal function of our brain and nervous systems.
- Cabbage also provides vitamin B6, Calcium, Potassium, vitamin A, Iron and Magnesium plus can help with inflammation.
Let us know what you think of our Spicy Crack Slaw recipe!
Spicy Keto Crack Slaw
- 1 pound ground beef I use 85%/15%
- 5 cups coleslaw mix or chopped cabbage
- 1 tbsp ghee or regular butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped remove seeds to make less spicy
- 2 tsp rice vinegar, seasoned
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sriracha adjust to taste
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion or scallion, sliced
- Add ghee or butter to a deep skillet or wok and add garlic, ginger and jalapeno (if using). Cook on medium heat until soft and fragrant.
- Add ground beef and brown for about 7 - 10 minutes, breaking up with spoon while it cooks.
- Add in the cabbage or cole slaw mix (I get this angel hair cabbage mix at my supermarket that I love in this) and toss it all together well to combine.
- Add vinegar, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), sriracha and toasted sesame oil and toss again. Cook through for about 5 more minutes until cabbage is wilted.
- Season with salt and top with chopped scallion and toasted sesame seeds. Add extra sriracha as needed to each portion! Enjoy!