Even though I have said often that I’m not a big sweets person, every now and then, I get a craving — never for anything too sweet. My keto blueberry muffins always hit the spot and on hot days, a bite of my strawberry cheesecake ice cream is all I need. When it comes to cookies, these keto chocolate chip cookies are THE BEST recipe I’ve found, because if I’m craving a cookie, it has to be perfect. I whipped up a batch of these for an after (remote) school snack the other day for my kids and the combination of the sugar-free Lily’s semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate chunks (ChocZero also makes great keto-friendly chocolate chips!) make for a ketolicious chocolate treat! And, at only 2g of net carbs per keto chocolate chip cookies, who can pass one up?
What is Xanthan Gum?
Xanthan Gum is a keto chef’s must-have – it can be used in a variety of recipes, not only baking – to thicken and bind recipes as an alternative to cornstarch, which is not keto-friendly. Xanthan gum also has some nutritional benefits thanks to soluble fiber, so this is something I ALWAYS recommend you have in your pantry!
- Preheat oven to 360℉
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Transfer the melted butter to a mixing bowl, add the Swerve (or your preferred sweetener) and beat with a hand mixer on low until combined.
- Add the vanilla and egg, and beat on low for another 15 - 20 seconds.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Beat on low until combined. Don't over mix!
- With your hands, form a ball with the dough and place on a flat surface.
- Knead in the chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon or cookie dough scoop, to divide the dough into 12 round balls and place on a lined baking tray about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from oven and keep on the baking sheet to firm up (they might look underdone -- but trust me, they will firm up and be perfect!)
- You can store these in an airtight container for up to a week - but I doubt they'll last that long!