I love to make these low carb keto meatballs – only 1g of carbs per serving! – and serve them with tomato sauce over zucchini noodles for a hearty dinner or I often make mini meatballs to serve as appetizers or snacks with little toothpicks and top them with a basil leaf and a small slice of fresh mozzarella.
Note: be careful when picking marinara and tomato sauces to go with this keto meatball recipe – many have added sugar which will throw your macros off! Look for no sugar added sauces (just check the labels) – I like Rao’s which has no added sugar and is one of the tastiest keto tomato sauces which you can find in most supermarkets. It can get pricey, so I also typically stock up on Rao’s at Costco, where they have the best price.
I like a combination of pork, veal and beef in my meatballs, but you can also make these with only ground beef or just pork and beef. On days that I’m feeling like going the extra mile, I’ll brown them well as described below but keep them a bit undercooked and then let them simmer in the sauce I’m serving them with for ab out 30 minutes to cook through and infuse the sauce with the delicious, meaty flavor.
Got other ideas for how to serve keto meatballs? Please share in the comments below!
The Best Low Carb Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup pork rinds crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup olive oil
- Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl.
- Add garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Blend crushed pork rinds into meat mixture.
- Slowly add the water 1/2 cup at a time. The mixture should be very moist but should still hold its shape if rolled into meatballs.
- Shape into meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Fry meatballs in batches. When the meatball is very brown and slightly crisp remove from the heat and drain on a paper towel.