Taco Tuesday is a serious event in our home – and has been since my boys were toddlers. They’re now in their late teens and look forward to our Tuesday night tradition. While the basics of my “magic meat” filling (as we have called it since the boys were in diapers) haven’t changed much – I opt for a healthier, organic seasoning mix and have replaced carb-heavy tortillas with romaine lettuce. These Turkey Taco Lettuce Cups are a quick and light way to enjoy taco night.
I also recently started using Cut Da Carb wraps as a tortilla alternative here and there – even my boys love them. They’re 9g of net carbs per wrap, so a little on the high side but not bad for an occasional alternative! And, if you want the crunch of a hard taco shell, try Folio’s as a shell for your keto tacos. Yum!
Of course, you can use ground beef instead of ground turkey in these Turkey Taco Lettuce Cups and I’ll often use a red onion instead of a yellow onion because I love the flavor of red onion in Mexican dishes. I also always have lots of sour cream, shredded cheese, fresh chopped cilantro and other toppings on the side.
Turkey Taco Boats
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 1-oz package taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 small onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 large green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 4-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 small tomato diced
- In a medium pan over medium heat, brown turkey. (There shouldn't be any fat to drain.) Stir in seasoning packet and water.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and tomato sauce to meat and stir. Cover and reduce heat to low for 15 minutes.
- Add two lettuce "boats" per plate and fill one-eighth of the meat mixture into each boat.
- Top with fresh tomato and serve.