Like my other baked egg cups, these are similar but use zucchini instead of bacon to “wrap” the cup and is more of an omelet consistency on the inside vs a whole egg. these zucchini egg cups are a family favorite and we often will experiment with different toppings – try your favorites and let me know in the comments what combinations you came up with! We like this ham and cherry tomato combination – it’s almost like a mini-quiche.
There are PERFECT for meal prep. I will typically make 12 at the beginning of the week and my sons and I will all grab them each day before heading out for work and school.
Benefits of Zucchini Egg Cups
Zucchini is excellent for a keto diet thanks to low carbs and high fiber – and thanks to the texture, it’s a great substitute for noodles. Zucchini is loaded in carotenoids which protects our skin from harmful toxins while also keeping it hydrated and youthful — which is why we specifically recommend it on a Ketology lifestyle.
Zucchini also has plenty of heart healthy benefits as helping with bone health, assisting to maintain body weight and high in fiber.
Of course, eggs are a keto superfood thanks to a near perfect ratio of fat and protein on a keto diet.
Zucchini Egg Cups
- 2 zucchini peeled into strips
- 1/4 lb. ham chopped
- 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes quartered
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 c. Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 c. shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400? and grease a muffin tin with cooking spray. Line the inside and bottom of the muffin tin with zucchini strips, to form a crust. Sprinkle ham and cherry tomatoes inside each crust.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, heavy, cream, oregano, and red pepper flakes then season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over ham and tomatoes then top with cheese.
- Bake until eggs are set, 30 minutes.