Let’s face it, sometimes we need a good stiff drink…or want to enjoy that glass of wine (or two) with dinner. So, one of the many questions I get is “can I drink alcohol on keto?” To which, the answer is, “Yes.” So then of course, most want t know that the best alcohol for keto is to keep the carb count low and not fall out of ketosis. So, in this post, I’m going to first break down what are the best alcohol options on keto and then share some of my favorite keto alcohol recipes.
Can I drink alcohol on keto?
Yes, alcohol is ok on keto but you have to be careful. What are the best and worst keto alcohol options? Typically, beer is a no-no because of the wheat base and higher carb count, however wines — especially red wines — only have about 3 – 4g of carbs per serving, so in moderation, wine is ok. Most alcohol, like tequila and vodka, are carb-free, so they’re “safe” keto choices — you have to mind what you mix them with! Look out for sugar-based mixers and opt for club soda as a mixer or sparkling water. “Vodka and the Le Croix” is a very acceptable – although it can get boring – simple keto alcoholic recipe.
I almost always have keto simple syrup in my fridge. I made a mint-infused one for my low carb keto mojitos, but a quick version is to boil water and combine 1-part keto-friendly sweetener with 2-parts hot water. Shake it up in a bottle, allow to cool and voila! Low Carb Simple Syrup!
You may have also come across low sugar or keto-friendly wines – like FitVine, Dry Farm Wines and Palo61 from Secco Wine Club. I am a huge fan of the Palo61 red and rose — if you like wine, like I do, definitely give them a try.
Ok, so now for a few of my favorite keto cocktail recipes – the blackberry margarita is a fan favorite, by the way!
Keto Blackberry Margarita
- 2 oz Tequila I like Casamigos
- 1.5 oz Keto Triple Sec or Cointreau check out BoozyKetones on Instagram for recipe or see recipe note below
- 1/2 lime
- 2 - 3 blackberries
- Muddle blackberries in the bottom of a glass.
- Add a few ice cubes to the glass.
- In a cocktail shaker, add 1/2 cup of ice, tequila, Keto cointreau and juice of 1/2 lime.
- Shake, Shake, Shake!
- Pour into glass, garnish with whole berries!
Low Carb Vodka Mojitos
- 1 cup club soda
- 1 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Mint-Infused Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup powdered Swerve (if you can't find powdered, grind it in a spice grinder for a few seconds)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mint leaves, tightly packed
- 5 - 10 drops liquid stevia optional
- Over medium heat, mix water and powdered erythritol until dissolved.
- Add mint leaves and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, bring heat down to a simmer and steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool. If you want the syrup sweeter, add stevia. Test it first...I usually don't add the stevia however I prefer this less sweet.
- Once simple syrup is cool, combine mint-infused syrup, vodka, lime juice and club soda in a pitcher.
- Stir well.
- Serve in ice filled glasses. Garnish with lime and extra mint sprigs.
Simple Coconut Margarita
- 2 shots tequila
- 2 -3 pumps sugar-free coconut syrup I used Torani
- 1 cup Mango La Croix
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Add ice to shaker to fill halfway. Add tequila, syrup and lime juice and shake well.
- Top with La Croix. (I made the mistake of adding the La Croix before shaking in the video - do NOT do that, unless you want a mess)
- Pour into glass, garnish with lime slices and enjoy!
Low Carb Watermelon Margarita
- 4 oz Tequila I like Casamigos
- 2 oz Keto Simple Syrup
- 1 lime juiced
- 4 tbsp watermelon juice
- 1/2 cup ice
- Add ice to cocktail shaker.
- Add all ingredients into the cocktail shaker.
- Cover and Shake, shake, shake!
- Pour keto watermelon margarita into glass.
- Garnish with either lime or watermelon wedges.
Keto Sugar-Free Lime Margaritas
- 1.5 oz tequila
- 1/3 cup lime juice preferably fresh squeezed
- 1/2 tsp liquid stevia
- Shake with ice in cocktail shaker. Pour into pink salt rimmed glass of ice.