One of my favorite breakfasts, besides poached eggs and avocado, is lox and cream cheese on bagels. I have tried lots of low carb / keto-friendly bread recipes and have been kinda meh about them, but went for trying to make a keto bagels recipe today with a fathead-inspired dough.
And they were DELICIOUS. I also made bagels using my keto bread recipe in a silicone donut / bagel mold which also come in as a close second – both keto bagel recipes are amazing and certainly satisfied my cream cheese and lox bagel cravings.
Try this recipe for fluffy, chewy bagels that work great for breakfast or for lunchtime sandwiches! Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel season is EVERYTHING to make these so savory and delicious, but experiment with cinnamon for a sweeter bagel or other seasonings.
NOTE: both of these keto bagels recipes will stay fresh when stored in an air-tight bag or container for about 3 days…but trust me, I don’t think they will even last that long! Too good!
- 1 3/4 cup shredded full fat mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup almond flour (or 1/4 cup coconut flour)
- 2 tablespoons full fat cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the shredded cheese, flour and cream cheese in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on full power for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on full power for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg, baking powder and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Wet hands (it's easier to work with the dough and prevent sticking). Roll each piece into a cylinder form into a circle. Pinch the ends together to form a bagel shape.
- Place on lined baking sheet and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Low Carb Keto Bread
- 7 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened, not melted
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour we like Bob's Red Milled SUPER FINE
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal optional, if omitting, use 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Grease and line a metal loaf tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs (make sure the eggs are at room temperature and not fresh out of the fridge!) using a hand mixer on medium speed until combined and starting to froth - about 2 minutes.
- Add the softened butter and coconut oil. Beat until it all comes together. There may be some flecks of butter, which is fine.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients: the almond flour, flaxseed meal (if using), baking powder, xanthan gum and pink salt until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while continuing to beat on medium speed.
- Once the ingredients are combined, pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Smooth out the top with a spatula or, I give the tin a few gentle taps on the kitchen surface to level it out.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Test by inserting a toothpick into the center - if it comes out clean, your keto bread is ready!
- Slice into 16 even pieces (about 1/2 inch thick) and enjoy!
- This low carb, keto bread can be stored in the fridge for about a week. I like to keep it in an air-tight plastic container with a paper towel inside to help reduce moisture.
- You can toast this keto bread, make sandwiches and even use in a panini press!